Dark chocolate’s health benefits are well researched. Aside from being the ultimate comfort food, good chocolate, with a cocoa percentage around 70 percent, is actually really good for us and also known as the love drug. Researching this post made me hungry for a bite — it may do the same for you!
Here are ten reasons, scientifically established, that dark chocolate will help you LIVE YOUNGER:
- It helps restore flexibility to the arteries, which improves heart and circulatory health. It also inhibits white blood cells from sticking to the walls of blood vessels. Woohoo!
- Dark chocolate is loaded with beneficial minerals such as potassium, zinc, and selenium. Selenium is essential for thyroid health.
- It reduces the levels of LDL cholesterol (the damaging form of cholesterol), which potentially lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Researchers in Finland have found that the risk of stroke may be lowered by as much as 17 percent by eating dark chocolate.
- The flavanols in dark chocolate can help protect the skin against sun damage.
- Dark chocolate, in moderation, might delay diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity.
- Chocolate is good for the brain. The flavanols are thought to reduce memory loss in older adults.
- With it’s anti-inflammatory qualities, it is good for the entire body!
- It can help you lose weight….are you kidding me? According to neuroscientist Will Clower, a small square of high quality chocolate melted on the tongue 20 minutes before a meal triggers the hormones in the brain that make you feel full. If you stop eating then, you will consume fewer calories. You can read more details in his book Eat Chocolate, Lose Weight: New Science Proves You Should Eat Chocolate Everyday.
- Dark chocolate encourages your brain to release feel-good endorphins. It contains phenylethylamine (PEA), which is the same chemical that your brain creates when you feel like you’re falling in love. Chocolate has been termed “The Love Drug.”
Remember, it is the 70 percent or more dark chocolate that has the greatest benefit. Minimize the sugar laden, milk chocolate variety.
START SOMEWHERE today enjoying the love drug’s health benefits. It’s a treat that will do your body, mind, and spirit good!