Why is sleep important and foundational to health? What happens when you don’t get enough sleep? According to the National Sleep Foundation, sleep is essential for a person’s health and wellbeing, is involved in healing and repair of your heart and blood vessels, helps you learn better, and helps decrease inflammation, just to name a few. Not only does better sleep make you feel better, it is safe to say that better sleep will help you LIVE YOUNGER.
START SOMEWHERE STRATEGIES TO GET BETTER SLEEP TONIGHT:
- Drink caffeine only until noon, at the latest.
- Take a break from ALL technology at least 2 hours prior to retiring.
- Enjoy a hot bath or about an hour before bedtime to relax your muscles. Add a handful of Epsom Salts in your bath water for added relaxation.
- Avoid alcohol within 4 hours of the desired sleep time
- Practice a relaxing bedtime “wind-down” ritual by reading a real book, journaling, or prayer
- Exercise daily at least 3 hours before bedtime.
- Create a restful, relaxing bedroom environment. Place digital clocks out of view, choose block-out shades, or wear blinders. Keep the room slightly cool – between 60 and 67 degrees.
- Consider having a soothing cup of Daily Rest as needed. Daily Rest promotes a calm, relaxed, well-balanced emotional and physiological state.
Better sleep is essential in order to LIVE YOUNGER. If you’re still having trouble sleeping, you may benefit from taking notes in a Sleep Diary to help you better understand your common patterns and habits. START SOMEWHERE today to make better sleep a part of your day. You can do it.