For Air Purification you can take a natural approach when you know the right houseplants. Do you want cleaner inside air? As homes become more insulated and energy efficient, chemicals like formaldehyde, benzene and ammonia that come from common household items can pollute your home’s atmosphere. Fortunately, we can harness space station research on healthy houseplants to enhance our lives here on planet Earth!
What are some of the common household items that pollute a home?
- Glues and adhesives
- Carpets (especially new carpet)
- Chemicals in household cleaners
- Foam insulation products
- Pressed wood products
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration conducted a study in the late 1980’s to find out which house plants are most effective in Air Purification. The following ten plants were found to be most effective:
- Azalea (Rhododendron simsii) – Does best around 65 degrees and with indirect sunlight. Filters formaldehyde.
- Bamboo Palm (Chamaedorea seifritzii) – Needs indirect sunlight. Removes formaldehyde.
- Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum morifolium) – Needs direct sunlight. Filters benzene and formaldehyde.
- English Ivy (Hedera helix) – Best in cool, moist air. Removes formaldehyde. Caution: Poisonous! Keep away from children and pets.
- Gerbera Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii) – Likes lots of sunlight. Removes benzene and trichloroethylene.
- Golden Pothos (Scindapsus aures) – Happy anywhere in a home. Filters formaldehyde.
- Variegated Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata “laurentii”) – Very low maintenance. Filters formaldehyde.
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum wallisii) – Likes low light areas. Removes benzene and trichloroethylene. Caution! Poisonous – keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Red-Edge Dracaena (Dracaena marginata) – Suited for temperatures of 75 degrees to 85 degrees. Removes both benzene and trichloroethylene.
- Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum) – Low maintenance and easy to propagate via plantlets. Filters formaldehyde.
I want to note that trichloroethylene is used in the dry-cleaning industry but is also found in paint, printing inks, varnishes, and adhesives. The National Cancer Institute considers this chemical a potent liver carcinogen.
Plants are an essential resource for human well being. Research indicates that the presence of a potted plant on an office desk reduces stress, fatigue, dry throat, coughs and dry skin among workers. Where plants were present for Air Purification, workers were more productive. START SOMEWHERE today to clear the air and freshen up your home or office with one of the above healthy houseplants. Thanks for stopping by!